Enough for 2 or 3
Dry frying or toasting the oats is a great way to add a little extra flavour to the finished porridge so don’t even think about skipping that stage! These quantities can be easily adjusted but I think that porridge goes “slimey” if you try and reheat it so I only make as much as I need.
50g rolled jumbo oats
200ml whole milk
Salt to taste – you’ll want to be quite generous
- Weigh out the jumbo oats and oatmeal and transfer to a frying pan.
- Toast over a high heat stirring regularly until you can smell them and they are beginning to get lightly golden in places.
- Transfer to a saucepan.
- Pour in the milk and the water.
- Slowly bring to a simmer – this takes a few minutes so be patient – and stir gently so they don’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- When they begin to simmer turn the heat down really low and allow cook for another 10 minutes or so.
- Stir in the salt and cook for another couple of minutes.
Serve with any compote – I love apple or blueberry or any fresh fruit really.
My kids love it with honey and demerara sugar or even golden syrup.