Courses start on Monday at 8.15am and finish on Friday at 4pm. Price includes five days’ tuition and four nights’ stay and recipes to take home.
This course will boost your confidence and competence substantially and you will leave with the capability to make your chalet or villa really stand out for the crowd. You will learn how to cook your guests anything from inspirational dinner plates, magical puddings and cakes, to nutritious breakfasts and smoothies, while seamlessly running the kitchen.
Over the week you will learn impressive new cookery skills, essential knife techniques, how to work to a budget, along with food safety and kitchen hygiene. You will also be taught the art of presentation, both on the plate and of the table. People skills are important too, so this course covers how best to deal with, and anticipate, the demands of guests while remaining calm and unflustered. Most importantly, you will learn about time management and how to be super organised so that there’s still plenty of time for fun in the sun or on the slopes!
This intensive course is comprised of four days’ teaching, followed by a day’s ‘practical’ in which students work individually to develop and produce previously unseen menus for Flora to sample. Flora will be on hand for guidance throughout but the aim is for them to prove to themselves that they can now produce villa or chalet standard food unaided – and most are amazed by how far they’ve come!
As a result of this course students can expect to work with confidence in this industry. They will take away a folder full of imaginative menu plans and recipes (including children’s meals, vegetarian ideas and special dietary requirements) to cover all eventualities, along with a comprehensive booklet of ‘Tips and Tricks’ which has all sorts of hacks and tips about how to run a kitchen efficiently and go the extra mile to satisfy guests.
Courses start on Monday morning at 8.15am. We will start as we mean to go on by cooking breakfast, elevenses and then lunch. There will be time for a break in the afternoon but this may well be used to set up tents if students are camping. Then it’s back into the kitchen to cook something for tea and then supper. Everyone will be ready to leave by 4pm on Friday after the “practical” and deep cleaning the kitchen.
We will also offer recruitment guidance and Duke of Edinburgh’s Gold Award students can even use this week as their Residential.
Seared scallops with soy
Rocket rolled with proscuitto and homemade pesto
Roasted courgette tarts on shortcrust pastry
Flattened chicken breast with a warm light tomato salsa sauce, herb potato stacks and pea shoots
Vanilla panna cotta, white chocolate soil and fresh fruit
Current circumstances dictate that we have to implement some changes to the running of this course. Course sizes are now reduced to six students (plus tutor) and while Flora’s children are away students will get their own bedrooms. However during the school holidays this will not always be possible, so students may need to bring their tents. We are very lucky to have plenty of space outside to accommodate this – our croquet lawn transforms into the perfect campsite on which to pitch tents – and we’ve found that it even adds to the fun!
We’ve always been hot on hygiene but we’ve upped the ante with even more frequent washing of hands and cleaning of surfaces, supplies and foods where appropriate – a good foundation for being a hygienic cook in years to come!
Our kitchen table is huge and students will be assigned a station for the duration of the course where they will do all their food prep allowing for social distancing. There will be no sharing of utensils and everyone will cook for themselves (the best way to learn!). With portable induction hobs in place on the island distancing can be adhered to in the actual kitchen but we will cook and wash up in shifts. Access to the ovens will also be in shifts. When possible all French doors and windows will be open to provide extra ventilation.
One of the most fun parts of this course is enjoying the wonderful fruits of our labour together. So weather permitting, this will be done al fresco on our terrace or under the cover of our roomy gazebo.. It has sides that can be bought down in the event of inclement weather – and we can lay on hot water bottles and blankets too!
For campers, we have an outside lavatory and bathroom in our B&B cottage. These can be used in shifts with stringent cleaning regimes and check lists in place. As well as camping itself, there’s plenty of fun and fresh air to be had during downtime with our games room, extensive garden, swimming pool and tennis court. There may, however, be some form of schedule where necessary depending on the guidelines at the time of the course.
A 25% deposit is required to reserve your place. The remaining 75% payment will be requested 1 month before the course date.